Centenary S.S.No.15 Vaughan Twp. 1843-1943

Friday Aug 11 1843. Celebration September 4 1943

History S.S. No. 15 Vaughan

No one can never tell what it has cost to put this innocent-looking little school here. For more than 150 years, a long procession of brave men and noble women have made their offering toward the life of this community, and then passed on. We greet the present Board of Trustees, Mr. Roden, Mr. Robert King, Mr. Gordon Miller, together with the other members of the Centenary Committee, Mr. Sam McClure, Mr. Robert Burton, Mr. William Lawrie, and Mr. Gordon Bell. Who can tell what stirring events may take place ere another great company assembles here to celebrate the next anniversary of the organization of S. S. No. 15 Vaughan, one hundred hears hence.  To the parents of the children, who now attend this school, we may say that the future, in a great measure, rests with them and their teacher.

But now for the history of this section – just think – for years and years, this schoolyard lay here, a wooded wilderness, whose deep silence was broken only by the howling of wolves, and the splash of canoes, where the Indians brought their furs down to a little French trader, “St. John’, whose hut stood alone at the mouth of the Humber, (now sunnyside, at the foot of Dufferin Street (Concession 3). History calls him ?The Chief Factor of Toronto”, “The Pioneer of Nursery Men”, “The First Laird of the Humber”, “The Interpreter for the Indians and the Fur Traders in 1770” – He was there in 1756. He was Host to more distinguished people, perhaps, then any other Ontario Man before or since.  When Governor Simcoe, with his Company of Queen’s Rangers in their green uniforms, set out from Niagara for Toronto Harbour, on Thursday, May 2nd, 1793, skirting the sores of Lake Ontario in open boats, there they found him.

During the next 9 or 10 days, they made a thorough survey of the harbour and the shore. By July 1793, Simcoe had brought Mrs. Simcoe from the Capital at Niagara to live in a wigwam at Toronto, which he named “York” on august 26th 1793. He transferred his regiment and held Council Meetings there.

On August 28th, he set up the famous “Canvas House” for his family and retinue, at the mouth of the Don.  In September, from St. John’s rude manor, with its cherry orchard, Simcoe and his surveyors set up the Humber in canoes, then he walked the portage, some 30 miles north to the River, which Holland, the Surveyor-General named after himself, and then out into the Lake which he called “Simcoe” after his father.

Now, it is a far cry from that day to the purchase of a site for a school – what had happened to bring about this development?  In 1783, about 10 years before Simcoe came, our good neighbour to the South, the a daughter of the British Crown, decided to set up a house of her own, and over it flew the Stars and Stripes. Great hosts of American settlers did not like the idea, and leaving homes, farms, schools – all they had toiled for during a century – trekked north and west until they once again saw the Union Jack waving above them. Many settled around Prince Edward County (Bay of Quinte); many settled around Niagara, crossing from the States over the Niagara River. this coming of the United Empire Loyalists made it necessary for Britain to pass the Constitutional Act, 1791, so that while the French in Lower Canada might retain their language, religion, and customs, it would be possible for these new settlers in Upper Canada(Ontario) to have their language, religion, and customs. It was this Act that gave 1/7 of the Crown land for the support of the Protestant Clergy, thus creating the vexed question of the Clergy Reserves.

In the following year, 1792, Sir John Graves Simcoe was sent in to us as Lieutenant-Governor of Ontario, and with his coming things began to develop rapidly. The first Parliament in Upper Canada met early in 1792, at Newark (Niagara) and in four weeks, these few (16) Members of Parliament passed eight Acts, setting up for all time the machinery of Government for Ontario.  They divided the Province into four districts – ours was the Home of Niagara District. During his stay, 1792-1796, he made many improvements.  The streets or long portage over which he had walked 30 miles from the Humber mouth to the Holland River in September 1783, was to be cut open by his 200 Queen’s Rangers and called Yonge Street after Sir George Yonge, Secretary of State in the British Parliament, and this grant of land or concession by the Government to the people for a road was Concession 1.  On both sides of this street, his Surveyor, Jones, mapped out Townships, among others, “Vaughan”, named for the great British Statesman, who had made terms with the United States at the revolt of the American Colonies in 1783.  On the Toronto Harbour front was Scarboro, at the mouth of the Don and first port of call coming up by boat form the seaboard, and near the spot where the Governor’s Canvas House (Castle Frank) was set up.  Then next, west, York Township, bounded by the Humber; then West, Etobicoke, across the Humber; next, north up the Humber to Vaughan and still north to King, and still north to Gwillimbury, so-called because Simcoe’s wife before her marriage had been a Gwillim – thus was, what is now since 1850, the County of York, set out into Townships in 1793-4.

Because Yonge Street was (apart from the river waterways) the first main highway, north and south, it is clear that S.S. No. 1 Vaughan will be near Yonge street – S.S. No.2, west of it; No. 3, Dufferin Street, at the front, No. 4, Bathurst Street, etc., until we come to Concessions 9 and 10, Vaughan. Simcoe’s Parliament named any settlement, a town or township, and those townships are described as “areas laid out or blazed in order to be able better to determine the location of grants of land to settlers”.  “A township was merely a block in the wilderness” and “A concession line was one on which posts were fixed to number the lots”.  Some job it must have been!

This Parliament also laid the foundation of Municipal Government. An Act was passed providing that “each township (settlement) that had 30 or more inhabitants (householders) could ask for any two Justices of the Peace of the district, to order the constable to call a public meeting on the first Monday of March to discuss and petition for – and later pass by-laws regarding roads, bridges, school sites, etc. etc.

Now, it is for us to find out how our section or district got these 30 or more “inhabitant householders”, who were the two Justices of the Peace, and who the constable who called the meeting?

The name “Richard Jeffery”, dated back much farther than any other in this history. In 1791, the first Richard Jeffery came out from Kent, England, as gardiner to Queen Victoria’s father, the Duke of Kent, who them commanded the 7th Fusiliers at Quebec, that ancient City, where even now, the world’s greatest English-speaking men have just been sitting in conference; and, it is interesting to note, that, while Prime Minister Churchill and daughter, Mary, went the other day (August 11th) to visit the Falls of Niagara, Mrs. Churchill, herself from Kent, remained in Quebec and spent the morning quietly in the beautiful gardens of old Montmorency House (Kent Lodge) landscaped by Richard Jeffery 152 years ago.

In 1794, the Duke of Kent was moved to Halifax and remained there till 1799, at which time, Richard Jeffery and his young son, the second Richard, returned to Kent, England.  This young man followd in the footsteps of his father and became a gardiner. He, with his wife and three sons, John, Alfred, and Richard, came to Canada with Sir Peregrine Maitland, Lieutenant-Governor of Upper Canada from 1818 to 1828, and later of Nova Scotia 1828-1832. There is evidence in the Archives at Halifax to show that this Richard Jeffery was a scientific horticulturist, for he landscaped the famous rose gardens at Stamford near Niagara, while serving the Governor there.

After Maitland’s departure in 1832, we know that this Richard Jeffery became a farmer on his land on Lot 5, Concession 8,  now Upper Woodbridge. In 1833, he bought for his son, Alfred, the land now farmed by Cameron McClure; for his son Richard, he bought, in 1835, the farm on which we are holding tis meeting; while, to his eldest son, John, in 1849, he gave the home place on the 8th. This second Jeffery was the one who gave the site of the First Methodist Church in Woodbridge, and you may see his grave in the old cemetery on the 8th.

Richard his son, obtained his deed of this farm from his father, in 1843, and in the same year sold the site of S.S. 15 Vaughan to the Commissioner of education for 2 pounds. Here, his son, Richard, the fourth, was born in 1853. This Richard was the father if the twins, Richard and John Jeffery, who were pupils of this school and who are now Chief Engineers for the Hydro-Electric Power Commission of Ontario.

Richard’s son. Richard the sixth in direct line, is now serving with the forces as Squadron Leader, T.F.2, Ottawa, in charge of all Initial Training Schools and all Elementary Flying Training Schools in Canada.  John’s son, John, is serving as Pilot Officer in the R.C.A.F., and has previously taken training in England, the land of his forefathers.

We find that in 1794, nearly 150 years ago, while Simcoe was still Governor, and while York (Toronto) was being made an arsenal, in 1896, preparatory to becoming the Capital of Ontario,there came to the lake-front, at the mouth of the Humber, three brothers, Isaac, Abraham, and Levi Devins (Devins, Devans, Devaynes), who, I quote – “having observed a firm and loyal attachment to his Majesty’s Crown and Interest, during the war with America, prays for each a portion of land …”. This petition was granted on November 7th,1794; and on August 24th, 1796, each of the three brothers received a patent of land from the Crown, the first ro be granted on the Humber (St. John was a squatter and never established a deed). Hence, Mr. Robert King, present Secretary, S.S.15 Vaughan, dates his history back150 years in Canada, through his grandmother, Susan Devins, whose great grandfather was one of these brothers, probably Levi, as he was granted Lot 10, the most northerly in Etobicoke, These men, originally from the Isle of Man in the Irish Sea, must have taken a great part in the affairs of the Township; one was a Constable and one was in charge of the Highways and overseer of fences – in those days roads were the chief concern of the Government in opening up this wilderness of trees.  We shall hear more about toads later.

Now, the next glimpse we get of any connection between these earliest days and the men of our section, is when we read that in 1819 (124years ago), a certain Donald Cameron came to Canada from Argyleshire, Scotland, and settled in Caledon.  In 1824, he came down to Vaughan and married Jean Armour, whose family then farmed the land now known as Armour Heights, North Toronto. This links up Mr. Sam McClure, Jr. with the past for his mother was Agnes Cameron, a grand-daughter of Donald Cameron.

And now as we pass over some 30 years. Between 1830-1840, 350,000 settlers came in – Muddy York was incorporated as the City of Toronto in 1834, but there were no side walks in the place and the streets were horrible.  During those years, this S.S. was mainly settled.

About 1830, Andrew McClure came from Ireland and made contact with his cousin, John Waugh, who had a farm at Downsview, York Township. They heard of land to be had up the Humber in Vaughan on the 9th Concession. At the little Village Burrwick (Woodbridge) (called for Roland Burr) they got a meal at Hamilton’s Tavern, and there the young Irishman met his future wife, Mary Anne Hamilton. Their son, Mr. Samuel McClure, Sr. aged 91 years, is present today.

In 1853, Thos. Richardson took up the farm south of McClure. Mr. Richardson had before taken up land on the west side of the 9th, but, for some reason (probably because of the Humber) had moved across the road  to the farm now owned and worked by Mr. Sam McClure, Jr. So in 1834, John Lawrie, coming in from the earlier settlement of Scarboro, settled on the land vacated by Richardson. Mr. William Lawrie, Secretary of the Centenary Committee, still farms the land taken up by his Great-Grandfather in 1834.  Thomas Richardson’s son, Thomas, who married a Miss Jeffery (Elizabeth Anne, daughter of Richard Gardelstone Jeffery and Barbara Shunk),  owned the farm afterwards bought by Mr. William King, now owned by Mr. McLean.  Well  do we remember the good pears we used to get at school from the young Richardsons. South of Thomas Richardson, Sr., on the east side of the 9th, were the Burkholders, a well-known Loyalist family, who came up from Pennsylvania.

The year before John Lawrie came in, a Scot, John King, a stone mason, had come out from Muddy York and had taken up 200 acres on the west side of the 9th, just north of Richardson’s first farm.  Mrs. King’s maiden name was “Turnbull”, and she was a cousin of the famous David Livingstone, Missionary to Africa.  Shortly after John King had bought land, his friend, Henry Burton, sought to settle beside him, but owing to the fact that the adjoining land had just been taken up by Mr. Lawrie, Sr., Mr. King let his friend – Henry Burton – have 180 acres of his land fronting on Concession 10. This land is still farmed by Mr. Robert Burton, of the Centenary Committee, and Mr. Robert King still has the King farm.

About the same time and from the same place, Stonehouse, in Scotland, came a young carpenter, a cousin of John Lawrie, Gavin Hamilton, by name. He bought 5 acres of the King farm; and here, in this new land where carpenters were sorely needed, added to that skilled labour, the industry of weaving in his own home, as the people of Stonehouse did in Scotland.  Wee do we remember our fine rag carpets woven by him.  Mrs. Hamilton was a miss Jeffery (Mary Jeffery, daughter of Richard Gardelstone Jeffery and Barbara Shunk), and her daughters, Barbara and Anne, Mrs. Shackleton, are still with us, and the son, James Hamilton, though his interests have widened to owning a business in Woodbridge, has taken time off to put the old school in shape for our meeting to-day.

We next come to the farm of Richard Jeffery, who, in 1835, purchased for 75 pounds lot 15, 9th concession, from Canada Company, the land which he sold to his son, Richard Jeffery in 1843 for 100 pounds. this is the Richard Jeffery, wo sold land for the school site in 1843,  this farm was worked for many years by his son, John Jeffery, who graduated as a Veterinary Surgeon in 1874, He is a well-remembered figure as he rode here and there, far and wide, up and down the district doctoring the sick animals.

On the north side, opposite the school, was the farm owned by Thomas Smith.  The whole community owes this ma a great debt of gratitude for his gift of land on which was erected Knox Church. Formerly, the Presbyterians had met mostly in the school-house.  The great granddaughters of this settler still own part of the original farm.

No the next farm, west on the side road, lived Mrs. Wood, sister of Mr. Smith. The Wood farm is now owned by Mr. Gordon Miller, a School Trustee.

At the corner of the 10th, opposite, lived John Fleming and his wife, Mary, who on the 4th day of December, 18543, gave to the Trustee of Knox Church, Vaughan, viz, Henry Burton, John Lawrie, Archibald Somerville, a parcel of land (1/4 acre) on which to build a manse for Knox Church; the deed was witnessed by James Somerville and William Agnew, who then farmed the land now owned and worked by Gideon Burton.What a gift that was, bringing great men like Rev. Mr. Glassford, Rev. Peter Nicol into the neighbourhood!  Mr. William Fleming, aged 89, son of this benefactor, now lives in Woodbridge. His wife, a Nattress, a member of a very old well-known family – VanNatress – evidently from the Netherlands, probably Belgian French.

The Somerville brothers, Hames and Archibald, married sisters (named Goodfellow) were well-to-do Scottish yeoman, who, in 1834, came and bought on the 10th, Vaughan, good farms, partly cleared.  They were always interested in affairs of the Church, and a son, Rev. John Somerville, was afterwards Treasurer of the Presbyterian Church of Canada. One daughter married Lachlan Cameron, whose son, Colin, still farms in this sections, and like his Grandfather, he takes an active interest in the Church.

There are may, many other splendid old families – Mr. Neil McGillivray, the McMurchys, the Goodall’s. the Riddell’s, the Archer’s, the Hilton’s and other whose names will occur later in another connection.

Here is a picture of how each early settler made his home 0 “a clearing – an opening of felled trees; an acre or two cleared, the commencement of a log house, a patch of ground surrounded by a snake fence, enclosing the first crop of wheat, and perhaps a little Indian corn; great heaps of timber trees and brushwood laid together and burning; a couple of oxen dragging along another enormous truck to add to the pile – and allabout all 0 the dark mysterious woods”  ”

While the trees were being felled and the rude hut taking shape, the family slept under the stars, upon the ground, huddled together for warmth and protection. When the little log house, with its huge chimney of rough stones and great open fireplace, was finished, then day and night roaring firs were kept in the hearth” – No fuel shortage in those days1  That’s how this settlement was made;  that’s the stuff our Forefathers were made of, and they laid the foundation of S.S.15.  All honour to them and gratitude!

But amid all their hardships, they had their joys too – logging bees, with plenty of liquid refreshments, quilting bees, and a dance, sugaring off, a wedding; a singing school; the Yankee pedlar and peck and his fund of gossip carried from house to house; a visit from “the circuit rider”, the young Methodist Minister, most probably Egerton Ryerson, of York circuit, who, ;afterwards, became Superintendent of Education in 1844, and gave us our wonderful school system of Ontario.

(a) BUT THINK OF IT – No Globe – not until 1844, then only once a week, until 1853, then daily.
(b) No railway – not until 1870 (Tor. Grey  & Bruce).
(c) No post office – not until 1850 and then away off at Pine grove.
(d) No dollars and cents 0 not until after 1851.
(e) No free schools, not until ;after 1852
No electric light, no telephone, not motor cars, but plenty of hard work and courage.

And how about the road?  Of course, at first it was all waterways, lakes and rivers, with canoes and schooners.  Then we have seen how Simcoe tried to open Dundas Street form Kingston to London; and Yonge Street to Lake Simcoe – but it took years to make them fit to travel on, Even on the best of them it took 9 hours to go 25 miles.  The bush paths na d the Indian trails – such as the fold road through Pine grove to Kleinburg – were the best.  By an Act of first Parliament, 1792, a condition to a grant of land was that the inhabitant should open the road in front of his farm and put three to twelve days’ roadwork on it annually.  Because the 9th and 10th Concessions of Vaughan were all settled though with highway 27 to-day – and think what has been accomplished in a hundred years; but do not forget that it cost $33,000.00 per mile to make the new Hamilton highway a few years ago.

And how did the Jeffery’s, McClure’s, Lawrie’s, Fleming’s, Somerville’s, King’s and all the rest of them get the bag of precious wheat made into flour during those early Thirties.  The farmers could go on foot, or with ox-cart, or sleigh, either to Howland’s, on the Credit at Lambton, or to Gamble’s at the mouth of the Humber, or to Gooderham’s at the mouth of the Don. (This was burned down in 1869). By and by, one of the Howlands came to Kleinburg, Gambles’s came to Woodbridge (Burrwick) and Gooderham’s to Pine Grove. But the mill on the Humber by McClure’s farm was built by a Scotchman, Jimmie Thomson, who was the Grandfather of Mrs. William Bell of this S.S. 15. John Scott was his miller, and he, afterwards, moved to Brampton and operated a mill on the little Etobicoke River.  Thomson sold out to McLeod, who sold to William Taylor, a man from Lower Canada.  Donald McCallum now owns and works the Taylor farm after the model of Laird Anderson’s, his brother-in-law, in Lower Canada.

In 1854, the year the Flemings gave the land for the old Manse – now owned by James Hamilton – there came up from Lower Canada, William Taylor’s nephew, David Elder, a boy of 16, bringing a horse to his Uncle, the miller.  The boy remained in Upper Canada, learned his trade in his Uncle’s mill, a saw mill and a carding mill.  Later, James Elder sold out his share to David Elder, and went west, on account of his wife’s health. David Elder’s son, George, move the mill to King Street, Toronto, in 1916. The old mill houses and farm now belong to George’s son, Jack, now serving overseas with the troops.

and how did these settlers fare as to mail in the early days, At first, Indian couriers ran along the bridle paths, through the forests, carrying the mail which had come in by schooner.  All couriers carried axes to chop their way through.  It took three months to get a letter from Montreal – each letter cost 3 shillings (75 cents).  Letters posted in England, Scotland or Ireland in November got here next spring, and cost $1.12 each. No wonder we lost touch with all our relatives in the Old Country.

In 1799, a Post Office was opened in Muddy York in a store or any log hut available. in 1816, the first permanent post office was purchased there.  In 1811, there was a monthly service between Montreal and York – carried in by schooner as long as the Lake was open.  By 1815-16, there was a weekly service but only nine Post Offices in all Ontario.  In 1821, the mail stage coach came in from Kingston via the Dundas Highway and it was often held up and robbed.  Until 1851 there were no postage stamps, no envelopes, merely letters sealed with wax.  By 1850, when York Townships were made int a County, a stage coach left the Liffell Building, foot of Church Street, daily at 3.oop.m. and ran up through Pine Grove.  Our neighbours nearly all took turns at going for the mail and it was often given out at the Church.  The, in 1870, the Toronto Grey and Bruce Railway ran in through McClure’s and Jeffery’s farms, and shortly afterwards a Post Office was opened at Elder’s Mills, with William Irvine as Postmaster.  This was made possible through the influence of David Blain, a member of Parliament, who had been a pupil of William Irvine when he taught school in King Township.

This William Irvine was a College man from Aberdeen.  He had come to Canada with the 79th Highlanders. He retired from the army in 1835 and taught school in York Township in 1837, Scarboro 1838, King 1850, and finally in Vaughan at Coleraine, to finish out the term as substitute for his son, Thomas Irvine , who went into the lumber business in the Mississippi. By 1866, William Irvine had bought land from William Taylor and had built his house which was used as a Post Office. Miss Jean Elder now owns this, her Grandfather’s house.  In 1908 the present system of rural mail delivery was inaugurated and Elder’s Mills Post Office was closed, but the little flag station on the C.P.R. was a busy place for years.  Many present here to-day remember the good old days when they got on the train every morning at Elder to go to Weston High School.

This little settlement has seen some troubled times when war clouds hung over it.  In 1813 the American fleet came up and bombarded Toronto.  the Don Bridge was burned.  On April 30, 1813, the Government buildings and Library were burned, and for years after peace was declared, in 1814, the settlers were full of grave fears lest we might be swallowed up by our powerful neighbour and thus lose our British freedom.  But to-day, when Churchill and Roosevelt confer as brothers in Quebec City, we need have no further fears.

In 1837, again the farmers of tis Township were agitated over the question of having the right to decide how their tax money should be spent.  Thanks to the wisdom of the great British stateman, Lord Durham, this colony was given every right to run its own affairs – “Liberty Most Binds” was his motto.

The Clergy Reserves question was another cause of rebellion, at the same time, and in 1854, it was settled and the schools were given the funds from the sale of lands.

Again in 1914 we were shaken by war and four of our finest boys, Norman Fleming, a great grandson of John Fleming, and Beaton McGillivrary, a nephew of Mr. Neil McGillivrary, also Richard Harrison and Stanley Werrell, went out and did not return.  Roy Fleming, Frank Burton, William Burton, Jim Hamilton, William elder, Jr. and other descendants of the old families were veterans of tis first world war.  More than one descendent of the old settlers are in this present war – 2 Jefferys, a Nattress, a Bell, a Taylor, a Cameron, an Elder or two and others of whom we are not aware.

And lastly about the school. through information obtained by Mr. Norman Somerville, a grandson of Mr. Archibald Somerville, we learn from the Minutes of the Home District of Municipal Council, “On Motion by Mr. Klein, seconded by Mr. Milburn, Ordered on August 9th, 1843, that the petitions of Vaughan Commissioners be referred to the Standing Committee on Education (Mr. Nicolas J. Klein, commissioner for Vaughan)” –

August 11th, 1843 – Report of Committee on Education –

“The Standing Committee on Education beg to report that the School Commissioners have petitioned that the inhabitants of S.S. 15 Vaughan may be assessed for the purpose of procuring a site for a school – Committee Room – J.W. Gamble, Chairman.”

The prayer of the petition being granted, a site was procured from Richard Jeffery for the sum of $2.00.

Further, the by-law to assess the inhabitants of S.S. 15 Vaughan for the erection of a school-house was read a third time and passed and signed by the warden, E.W. Thompson.  Dr. Adam named School Inspector.”

So the old log school house was built, improved a bit and stood on that site until 1872.  the first teacher was Mr. Cumming, then Mr. William Jeffery, then Mr. John Natress, then Mr. Isaac Devins.  The pupils still living, most of whom are present are Mr. Sam McClure, Sr., aged 91 years; Mr. William Fleming, 89, his sister, Anne, 83, Miss Priscilla Wood and her sister, Rebecca (Mrs. Smith), Miss Mary Ann Mason, Miss Barbara Hamilton, Miss Jean Elder, Andrew Taylor and Howard Glassford.

In 1872 the new site was purchased from Richard Jeffery for $200. and the new school was built a short distance east, where it stands to-day, very little changed.  Mr. Fotheringham was our much-revered and thoroughly terrifying Inspector – Mr. Neeley, equally as terrifying, was the first teacher in the new school.  Miss Annie Mason, who had been a pupil in the old school, was later a teacher in the new.  We cannot mention all the teachers; some of them are here to speak for themselves.  Mr. Campbell, a former Inspector, is still living in Weston.  What this school has meant in the life of any ex-pupil is, perhaps, best shown by the following letter:

Dr. A.E. Atkinson
Fillmore Avenue at East Utica Street,
Buffalo, N.Y.

August 13, 1943.

Dear Miss Hosie Elder:
I see the Toronto Globe (while we were holidaying last week at Edgeley and the “Soo”, Michigan), that you are planning big things at S.S. No. 15, Vaughan.

I attend there in 1892-93 and took up High School work with Oscar Jeffery under a fine teacher, John Simpson. I could sing off the first 26 props of Geometry and much Algebra, Physics and Botany so much that ;after six weeks in Weston High School they gave me a private quiz and advanced me into the third year, at the end of which I passed the primary Exam (old third class non-prof) in 1894.  Received my Junior Leaving at Toronto Junction H.S. and Toronto Normal in 1899. Taught six years, was president of Dufferin County Teachers’ Association in 1902.

Since then practised Dentistry on this corner thirty-eight years. My son, Ralph Waldo, is with me – graduated in Toronto in 1939.

You see I have much interest in No. 15. We lived 1 1/4 miles from the school and knew everybody there.  I was Groomsman at Dr. Jack King’s wedding.

You could place me as one of the graduates, if you are making out a list, and also would be pleased to have a program or some account of the formal affair on September 4th. Lots more I could say. I remember you well but haven’t your Toronto address.

I used to flag the C.P.R. train every Monday morning for two years while attending High School.

Thanks ahead for your trouble

Albert E. Atkinson,
1364 Fillmore Ave.,
Buffalo, N.Y.

P.S. Enclosed $1.00 to help expenses.

It is not possible to set down the names of the countless students who have been graduated from this school.  they are scattered far and wide, from ocean to ocean, busy doing their bit to help on this old world.  There are good farmers, good lawyers, good clergymen, good dentists, good teachers, good housewives, good doctors, good business men and women, good millers, good engineers, most of them still living; others have fought a good fight and finished their course.  And so we leave the old school, wishing it Godspeed for another hundred years.

Rad by – Richard T. Jeffery, 111 Dunvegan Road.  TORONTO

Historian – (Miss) C. Hosie Elder

by appointment of Centenary Committee

Lt. Col J.A. Nattress, D.D.C., grandson of John Nattress, a former teacher at the school and great, great, great grandson of the first Richard Jeffery, and great grandson of John Lawrie.